Friday, September 2, 2011

Restaurant Fridays - Cuchi Cuchi

Welcome to Restaurant Fridays - My weekly review of the gluten free restaurant options in Boston and the surrounding areas.


Cuchi Cuchi (Website has music embedded)


I had been meaning to try Cuchi Cuchi for a long time, but never quite made it there. A friend of mine who also has Celiac Disease told me about their amazing gluten free menu and their lengthy exotic cocktail menu. It sounded like a match made in heaven to me. 



Image from http://www.cuchicuchi.cc/


When we arrived, we were immediately greeted by two very elegant women that looked like they had just fallen out of the early 30's prohibition era. Each of them was wearing a different style hat and neck full of rhinestone jewelry. I asked for the gluten free menu and we were shown to our seats. The restaurant was even more joyously bedazzled than the hostesses. Every nook was filled with something fun and interesting. 

Cuchi Cuchi Gluten Free Menu

Once we were seated, I busted out the gluten free menu and was pleased to find a fairly lengthy list of options for me to try. Cuchi Cuchi does not serve Tapas, but they do serve smaller plates that are best when shared. My dinner companion was kind enough to order from the gluten free menu so that we could share everything that was ordered. We opted to go for three plates plus desert and of course cocktails. 



For our first dish, we had the Seafood-filled Avocado which consisted of half a grilled lobster tail, shrimp, scallops, octopus, crab meat and salsa all stuffed into an avocado that was carved to look like a rabbit. I'm not usually a fan of lobster tail, but this was cooked perfectly. The seafood was delicious and the avocado was decadent. 



For our second dish we had the grilled Indian Lamb with beet salad, grilled fennel and a yogurt mint dip. This was fantastic. I almost never eat lamb, but decided to give this a try. The lamb was spiced nicely and went perfectly with the salad and the yogurt dip.




The last of our three dishes was the Grilled Eggplant Napoleon with roasted tomato and pepper ragout and a basil herb goat cheese. It was was very good and almost melted in my mouth when I took a bite. The goat cheese added to the already rich flavor, making this a very sinful treat.



Splitting three of the plates left us plenty of room for desert. We ordered the fresh fruit with cherry sauce and Chantilly cream. I always love fresh fruit and whipped cream, but the addition of the cherry sauce sent it over the top. I have no idea what they put in it, but it was absolutely delicious and only mildly unhealthy. I would go back to Cuchi Cuchi just to have this again. 

Overall, it was a really good experience. I like that they had a gluten free menu and that I knew right away what I could and couldn't have. The food was decadent and made for a special treat dinner as opposed to an every night place. The cocktails were well made and the decor was intriguing. Go check this place out if you ever find yourself in Central Square looking for somewhere fun to go, even if it's just for cocktails and desert.

What's your favorite "treat" restaurant?

No comments:

Post a Comment