Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Product Review - Udi's Ancient Grains Millet - Chia Bread

A few week's ago, Udi's was kind enough to send me two sample bags of their fantastic Ancient Grains Millet - Chia bread. Both millet and chia have excellent nutritional properties and when placed together, they give gluten free bread the added fiber, protein and nutrients it needs.


Image From www.celiac.com


I had already tried their Omega Salba Bread and was really impressed, so it wasn't a surprise to find out I liked the Millet-Chia Bread as well. Like most gluten free breads, I prefer to keep this in the freezer and then thaw it in a napkin or just throw it straight in the toaster.

The addition of the millet and the chia to what looks like Udi's wholegrain bread packs quite a punch. The toasted millet adds a nice crunch to the bread and the chia adds substance. I really like eating this bread with low fat nut butter for a breakfast that is fast and has staying power. Throw in a banana and you just add to the yum as well as the nutritional values.

Millet-Chia PBJ


So, other than flavor and texture, what's the difference between Udi's Whole Grain and Udi's Millet - Chia Bread? Let's do a comparison.

Udi's Whole Grain

Serving: 2 Slices
Calories: 180
Fat: 4.5 g
Sodium: 300 mg
Carbs: 27 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 4 g

Udi's Millet-Chia

Serving: 2 Slices
Calories: 160
Fat: 5g
Sodium: 200 mg
Carbs: 28g
Fiber: 6g
Protein: 5g

Ok, so for less calories, a little more fat and sodium you get 5 extra grams of fiber and an extra gram of protein. While, I still don't like all the fat and the added sodium, that is still a good amount of fiber.

Unfortunately, finding this bread in stores is not as easy as finding its whole grain cousin. I've only ever seen this sold at specialty health food stores like Good Health Natural Foods in Hanover, Ma and on-line at places like the gluten free mall.

Overall, I would definitely buy this bread more often if it were easier to find it in the stores I go to. I don't know that I'd eat it everyday, but I would certainly keep a loaf or two on hand to make PBJs when I'm hiking or on the run.

To read more about Udi's Millet - Chia Bread check out their blog here.


No comments:

Post a Comment