Sunday, September 11, 2011

Restaurant Fridays - Yankee Smokehouse

Welcome to Restaurant Fridays - My weekly review of the gluten free restaurant options in Boston and the surrounding areas.

Yankee Smokehouse - West Ossipee, NH (Near Conway)

The past two years Mike and I have been joining my parents in Conway for Labor Day weekend, which usually falls in the middle of their yearly two week vacation there. On our first night there we usually go to Yankee Smokehouse because we can't wait to eat their delicious BBQ.

Image From yankeesmokehouse.com



This year, Mike and I decided to hit the road around 7pm as opposed to the 4:30pm we tried the year before. This was a much better decision. Instead of sitting in traffic for four and half hours, we sailed up to North Conway in a little under three. Unfortunately, that meant we had to wait until the next day to hit the Smokehouse. We opted to have an early afternoon dinner so we could get some hiking in before and after.

If you didn't already know, Yankee Smokehouse has a great Celiac Safe, (gluten free), menu. This year I had the smokehouse ribs/ chicken breast combo in a small which comes with cole slaw, baked beans and another side. I chose corn on the cob. The plated dinners come in two sizes; small and large. I would only recommend the large if you have a serious appetite or someone to share with because the portions are enormous. Mike attempted the large and was utterly defeated and not from failing to finish it... I ordered a small and couldn't finish it all.

Gluten Free Beef Ribs, BBQ Chicken, Corn, Baked Beans and Cole Slaw


Last year I tried the baby back ribs. They were very tasty, but I liked the smokehouse ribs better. They had a nice smokey flavor and were even better slathered with the tangy BBQ sauce. The beans were savory and delicious too. As for the coleslaw... well, I guess I just don't like coleslaw all that much and I prefer my corn a little more al dente. The last part of the dinner I tried was the chicken and I'm almost scared to admit I liked it even better than the ribs. The meat was juicy and rich with a natural smoky flavor. I think I'd get this same exact dinner again next year because it was a nice mix of the different flavors Yankee Smokehouse has available on the gluten free menu. 


Gluten Free Carrot Cake

Yankee Smokehouse also has really incredible gluten free carrot cake. The piece you see in the picture above is actually only half the the original size of the serving they give you. Carrot cake was my favorite kind of cake in the pre-celiac days, so this is a real treat for me. This is the second year I've gotten a piece of the carrot cake and I learned the hard way that my body cannot tolerate the sheer volume of cream cheese that makes up the slice they give you. I ate half of it after consuming beef ribs and the other half later on that night. Needless to say... I wasn't feeling very well. If you decide to try this cake and have a hit or miss relationship with dairy, I would suggest pacing yourself.

All in all, I love this place. I certainly can't eat like this all the time, but it's a nice treat once year while you're on vacation. If you like beer with your BBQ, they also have Redbridge gluten free beer available.


No comments:

Post a Comment