Friday, September 23, 2011

Restaurant Fridays - Northbridge House of Pizza

Welcome to Restaurant Fridays - My weekly review of the gluten free restaurant options in Boston and the surrounding areas.


This week - Restaurant Fridays visits Northbridge, MA!


Northbridge House of Pizza

Right around the same time I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, so was the owner of my home town pizza shop.Since his diagnosis, he's been working hard to make a lot of the menu gluten free.


I had told Mike that they had fish and chips, so he was completely on board. I wound up ordering one of my pre-celiac indulgence favorites... the turkey club. This oh so unhealthy sandwich is made up of turkey, cheese and bacon with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and onions. It was delicious. The homemade gluten free bread was tasty, perfectly toasted and thin sliced. The turkey, cheese and bacon were toasted open faced before the rest of the sandwich was put together, making the cheese gooey and the vegetables still crisp. Yum.


Gluten Free Turkey Club

When I went up to the counter to tell the owner that the sandwich was great, he gave me a free sample of the gluten free meat balls that he had just pulled out of the oven. They were moist and nicely crisped on the outside. I would love to try a meat ball sandwich there sometime too.

Gluten Free Meat Ball

If you live in the Northbridge area or even if you don't, I'd totally suggest stopping in and trying one of their many gluten free offerings. There is a restaurant in New Hampshire that boasts having "New England's Largest Gluten Free Menu". I think Northbridge House may have an even bigger one.

Some of the gluten free offerings on their menu include:
  • Most of their pizzas including the vegetarian, the Hawaiin and the meat lover.
  • Most of their sandwiches including the falafel, the meatball, and the chicken cutlet.
  • Steak subs including the steak and cheese
  • Spaghetti dinners with meatballs, sausage or chicken cutlet
  • Fried seafood (Clam strips, whole clams, scallops, shrimp & haddock)
  • Potato skins, chicken fingers, buffalo fingers, mozzarella sticks and more
  • Most of their salads
  • French fries & onion rings
  • Hot wings

and so much more!

Please remember that you need to notify them before placing your order that you require gluten free food. I grilled them a few years ago when I first tried their food. I feel comfortable eating there because the owner/ chef also has Celiac Disease so I haven't asked again about dedicated fryers and prep areas for the pizza. If it makes you feel more comfortable, feel free to ask the owner and he'll tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment