Friday, July 22, 2011

Restaurant Fridays - XYZ Southwest Harbor, Maine

Welcome to Restaurant Fridays - my weekly review of the gluten free restaurant options in Boston and the surrounding areas. 


XYZ Restaurant

This past week we were on our yearly trip to Acadia National Park for four days of hiking, camping and of course our new tradition of dinner at XYZ restaurant. If you read my article about Mexican Food in Maine from last year or you've listened to me rave about it, you've already heard about XYZ Restaurant. We stumbled upon this place last year while visiting Southwest Harbor/ Seawall for the first time. I had dumbly typed "nachos" into the yelp app on my phone and was very pleasantly surprised with an authentic Mexican Restaurant on a back road off of 102A.



This year we invited two of our friends to come up with us. We decided to take them to XYZ the first night we were there because we just couldn't wait. Lisa and I went in to get a table while the guys parked the car. We were greeted by the same kind owner I had met the year before and were given a table after only a short wait. Everyone got their drink order in right away and then we perused the menu as if we were going to get anything but the amazing chilies relleno we had the first year. Mike opted for the full plate, (two chilies), Eric and I got the C&C, (One chili relleno and two grilled tiger shrimp), and Lisa got the beef spare rib. The chilies come stuffed with cheese and corn and smothered with a delicious cream sauce. On the side is rice and several sauces varying in spice level. The orange sauce is made with habanero chili and carrot, which is extremely spicy. I may have eaten the whole dollop of it and felt the burn all night.


Chilies Relleno at XYZ Restaurant


This year we decided to try appetizers as well. Before we were seated I saw a waitress carrying what looked like a sundae glass with avocado, salsa and shrimp in it and it looked awesome. Lisa and I got that and split it and the guys each had a bowl of the avocado soup. The waitress brought out corn tortillas instead of rolls for me and separate uncontaminated bowls of salsa. 




Corn Tortillas and Salsa


Needless to say, XYZ did not disappoint. We all left very full on their delicious food and mildly buzzed on the very tasty red wine sangria. I already can't wait until we go back again next year.


Interested in other gluten free options in Southwest and Bar Harbors? Stay tuned for next week's article on the rest of the places we tried out!

No comments:

Post a Comment