Friday, July 29, 2011

Restaurant Fridays - Legal C Bar

Welcome to Restaurant Fridays - my weekly review of the gluten free restaurant options in Boston and the surrounding areas.

Legal C Bar

I recently went down to Dedham, Mass to check out bride's maid dresses with my maid of honor and two of my bride's maids. After an uneventful visit to a local dress shop, we decided to get dinner at the Legal C Bar, (Legal Seafood's trendy sibling). I had heard that they had a gluten free menu and was all on board. The restaurant was fairly busy, but we were able to be seated right away. I asked about the gluten free menu and the hostess said she'd bring it right over.



After a few minutes our waitress came over. To say she was perky would be an understatement. She was trying to be everybody's best girl friend and kept exuberantly and loudly referring to me as the "gluten free friend" like I was a small child. I'm obviously very "out" about having Celiac Disease and requiring gluten free food, but sing-songy patronization is not ok. It was really awkward and I had to do everything in my power to not grimace while she was speaking to us. She mentioned that they sometimes had fresh gluten free rolls, which they turned out not having.

The Legal C Bar Gluten Free Menu


Unfazed by the lack of rolls, I perused the gluten free menu over and over again trying to figure out what to order. Initially I had gotten really excited about the lite clam chowder, but was informed that it was broth based instead of milk based, which is a travesty and a crime against the name chowder in my opinion. We decided to get the gluten free fried calamari as a appetizer to share and I wound up getting the rainbow trout with Cajun seasoning, steamed spinach and brown rice.

The calamari was decent, but on the greasy side. It was made with chick pea flour and fried in a skillet instead of a deep fryer to prevent cross contamination. We were pretty tired and hungry at this point, so as usual I forgot to take a picture of it. I'm trying my best to remember to photo the food before scarfing it down. Dinner was fairly unspectacular. The fish was cooked nicely and seasoned properly, the brown rice was... brown rice and the steamed spinach came out twenty minutes after the rest of the meals.



Ooops I ate it! It looked prettier before this.

The whole dinner set me back about $30 before tip. Overall, I wasn't really impressed. The near twenty dollar price ticket for the dinner wasn't really reflected in the quality of the food or the service.

Have you ever been to Legal C Bar and tried the rolls? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment