Friday, July 1, 2011

Restaurant Fridays - Beauty's Pizza

Welcome to Restaurant Fridays - my weekly review of the gluten free restaurant options in Boston and the surrounding areas. 

 

This past friday, we decided to try a pizza shop as a lower cost option for gluten free dining. For a ten inch specialty pizza and a rootbeer, it cost me around 13 dollars, which isn't too bad. When ordering, I specified that I needed the gluten free crust and asked if the Pepperoni Deluxe was available gluten free, (it comes with pepperoni and ham... both of which could contain gluten). The man behind the counter assured me it was. Maybe 15 to twenty minutes the pizza shown below arrived at our table.


Beauty's Pepperoni Deluxe - Gluten Free 
Overall the pizza was pretty tasty, but the crust was fairly lack luster. I spent five years in upstate New York and am a serious pizza snob. The crust seems to be a generic gluten free crust that's used by multiple restaurants and pizza shops. I don't know who makes it or where it comes from, but I think it's just so - so. It's too thin, usually gets burnt around the ends and falls apart when you pick up a slice. Am I happy that I get to order a gluten free pizza when I go out? Heck yeah, but I still want a better crust.


A note on pizza shops and gluten free crusts:
When ordering gluten free from a pizza shop you need to remember that if they make their own gluten laden pizza dough on site, you run a fairly high risk of cross contamination, whether it be from contaminated toppings or even a contaminated crust. Where there's tons of wheat flour present it's hard to truly contain it. That's just my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried Bill's Pizza in Newton Centre? Its pricey, I think I paid $18 for a large specialty topping gluten free pizza last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you think it was good? I haven't checked it out yet, but I will. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete