Tuesday, July 19, 2011

North Conway, NH - A GF hiker's delight!

It's that time of year again when my parents rent a little cottage in New Hampshire and spend their days hiking with the dogs and roasting marsh mallows over the fire pit. Last year, Mike and I decided to join them for one of the weekends they were there. Surprisingly, North Conway has a great selection of gluten free options. 



My parents had been telling us that there was this gluten free bar-be-que place down the street from the cottages and I was completely on board. We met them there on the way into to town and had some of the best bbq ribs I have ever had complete with cole slaw and corn on the cob.They even had desert options. I was full from dinner, but I just had to bring the carrot cake home. It was incredible as an unhealthy breakfast the next morning. Thank goodness we did a lot of hiking. Yankee Smokehouse has a Celiac in the family, (if I remember correctly), so they really understand what gluten free means and how not to cross contaminate your food. They even have a full gluten free menu . I was really impressed and we can't wait to go back this year.


Image From YankeeSmokeHouse.com


The second night we were there, I decided we needed to try the local Mexican Place, (you must be so shocked... if you don't already know... I love Mexican Food authentic and americanized). Cafe Noche was down the street from the Yankee Smokehouse and is family owned. Mom and I went early enough and actually got to talk to the owner about gluten. I, of course, got the chicken tacos because they are the easiest to make gluten free and they are my favorite. We even bought a chipotle hot sauce which was nice and spicy. 


Image from Cafe Noche


The last night we were there we decided to walk around downtown and get a pizza at Flat Bread Pizza Company. The gluten free crusts were made by a local woman and had really good flavor and texture. They were also $4 more than a regular pizza, which kind of put me off. I got the homemade sausage pizza. It has homemade maple fennel sausage, sun dried tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, caramelized onions, mushrooms and parmesean cheese. Despite the extra cost, I would go to this particular Flat Bread Pizza Company again because the crust was really good.


Since then, my co-worker went to North Conway with his kids and told me they ate a place called Rafferty's which rightfully boasts that it has the largest gluten free menu in New England. I can't wait to try this place next time I'm up there. I love french onion soup and I haven't had it in close to three years. They also offer onion rings, fish and chips, pasta with bread sticks and host of other items as well as a retail store with gluten free products.


Image from www.nordicvillage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment