Friday, July 15, 2011

Restaurant Fridays - Barlow's Restaurant

Welcome to Restaurant Fridays - my weekly review of the gluten free restaurant options in Boston and the surrounding areas. 


Barlow's Restaurant


Barlow's restaurant is a fairly new restaurant on A Street in the Fort Point area of Boston. It opened up in December 2009 and has been steadily growing in popularity. It's situated next to the Channel Center, has nearby public parking and a great outdoor patio. Mike and I decided to try Barlow's for dinner because it's close by and seemed to have a nice bar. 



I called ahead to ask if they could accommodate gluten free. The lady on the phone put me on hold and went to find out. She came back with a list that she read to me. On the phone, it sounded like there were a ton of options available. I had stayed at work a little too late and Mike was tired so we headed over to Barlow's for dinner instead of venturing out to Cambridge to finally try Cuchi Cuchi. When we arrived at Barlow's we got our menus and I asked for the gluten free list I was told about. I was handed a four inch by four inch piece of printed paper that said "salads", "roast chicken", "salmon", "sorbet", "flourless chocolate cake" and a few other things. Oh boy. I was certain that the evening was going to end in me bitterly making a sandwich back at home after Mike ate his dinner.


We ordered drinks. I got a Magners Pear Cider with a glass of ice. It's taken me a little while, but I really appreciate an ice cold cider. After a few good sips of cider, it was on to figuring out what to get for dinner. I opted for the statler roast chicken. The list didn't really say anything about sides so I checked out the main menu and noticed that the chicken was served with gnocchi... a gluten laden potato pasta treat. Fortunately, the waitress knew about this as well and offered up some suggestions, checking each with the kitchen to see if I could eat it. I wound up getting the roast chicken with sauteed spinach and a side of mashed potatoes. 


Statler Chicken with Spinach and Potatoes




The chicken was fairly moist, but lacked pizazz of any kind. The spinach was good and garlicky, which I like and the potatoes were... well.... potatoes. In retrospect, I probably didn't need to order the extra side of starch. They gave me a very generous portion of spinach to go with my chicken and I wasn't really fond of the sweet cream in the potatoes. 


All in all, the restaurant was ok. While they were very kind and helpful, there were only basic dishes that listed as gluten free. I would feel completely comfortable going there again, but probably won't because there's so many other amazing places I haven't tried yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment