Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fast & Healthy Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwiches

Every Sunday I make some variation of my favorite weekend breakfast sandwich. I change it up based on my mood and the availability of ingredients I have on hand. It takes only about 10 minutes and 4 ingredients to make this simple and satisfying sandwich. 

Breakfast Sandwich with Mango Slice




Ingredient # 1 - Egg Whites!


Awhile back I stopped eating egg yolks for health reasons. Now, I can't stand the taste of them. Egg whites are super low calorie and high in protein. Two large egg whites give you about 32 calories, 0 grams of fat and an astounding 8 grams of protein! 


Eggs!


 To cook them, just crack them into a slightly oiled smaller pan. I like to use Spectrum Organics High Heat Canola Oil Spray. It leaves only a mild flavor and has very few calories/ fat in it as long as you're not hosing down the pan. A quick squirt is all you need to keep your eggs from sticking. Cook them on one side until the turn opaque and start to come up on the edges. Flip and cook for about a minute more. Don't stir. Just let it cook as a solid.

Starting to peel up at the edges

Ingredient # 2 - Bread 

For bread on weekends, I like Rudi's. Usually I get the multigrain because I like hearty bread, but the original was only $4.89 at the Market Basket Mike and I go to when we're in Worcester. That's just amazing. Rudi's is a great weekend breakfast sandwich bread because it tastes decadent without having much more fat than my weekday go to. It's also the perfect size for an egg sandwich.

Rudi's Gluten Free Bread

Ingredient #3 - Cheese 

I love cheese. I am part of the lucky Celiac population that can still eat dairy relatively unhindered. Don't get me wrong, I can't go on a dairy bender without feeling the pain, but I can eat it on a semi-regular basis without harming my body or getting severely ill. Unfortunately, most cheeses have a metric ton of fat in them! That is why I choose to eat Laughing Cow Cheese. For one wedge you get 35 calories, 1.5 grams of fat and two grams of protein. I spread it on my toasted Rudi's to get my cheesy fix. I usually use the Light Creamy Swiss, but there are several other tasty options available, all of which are gluten free according to their website.        
                           
Portion Control Snacks - Light Swiss



Ingredient #4 - Breakfast Meat


I have tried several options for this portion of the sandwich and these are my two favorites. I either use Jones Dairy Farm Canadian Bacon or Al Fresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage, both of which are labeled gluten free. After cooking your egg white(s), throw either meat, (defrosted if you've frozen them), in the pan. For the chicken sausage, I usually cut it in half and then slice it lengthwise so it sits on my sandwich better. Both meats are pre-cooked and just need to be heated up. 


Canadian Bacon

The Canadian Bacon is actually certified gluten free, which is more than just labeling it gluten free. Read about their commitment to gluten free products here. Nutritionally, for three slices you get 60 calories, 1.5 grams of fat and 11 grams of protein. On days that I'm feeling more indulgent, there's al fresco chicken sausage. It is also labeled gluten free and contains 160 calories, 7 grams of fat and 14 grams of protein for one sausage.


Chicken Sausage

The outcome(s):

Both sandwiches are made with Rudi's Original, two egg whites and Light Creamy Swiss Laughing Cow Cheese. 

Sandwich #1 (Chicken Sausage)
Calories: 407
Fat: 11.5g
Sodium: 1070mg
Carb: 45g
Fiber: 2g
Protein: 26g
Comments: This version is my favorite. The sweetness of the chicken sausage pairs nicely with the creaminess of the Laughing Cow Light  giving you a more sumptuous tasting sandwich for only 100 more calories. 




Sandwich #2 (Canadian Bacon)
Calories: 307
Fat: 6
Sodium: 1050mg
Carb: 36g
Fiber: 2g
Protein: 23g
Comments: This is a great lower fat/ calorie version that is still pretty darn tasty. Try it out with french onion or chipotle Laughing Cow.


How do you like your gluten free breakfast sandwich?

4 comments:

  1. They both sound delicious! My husband finds raw milk cheeses to be more easily digestible if you have not tried them. By Organic Valley.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious but I'll eat the yolk. Just one question:

    Why do you bother getting omega-3 eggs if you throw out the yolk? All the minerals and omega-3s are in the yolk. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fiancée eats egg yolks and on occasion I do like scrambled eggs w/ the yolk. The purchase decision was more related to the fact of the Nature's Promise eggs being the only "natural" brand available at our tiny local supermarket. Most of the time I try and buy eggs from the farm market near South Station on Tues/ Thurs. Farm fresh eggs are delicious.

    You are correct in saying that most of the nutrients are found in the yolk. That is where the vitamin D, Calcium and Folate come from... on the flip side that's where the fat and cholesterol come from and not the good kinds. All in all... I just can't stand the taste of yolks unless they're scrambled into the egg... so I dump them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone else also commented on the sodium content of the sandwiches... yes, it's a lot...There's 110mg in the egg whites alone. The not to exceed number is about 2300mg and the recommended number is 1500mg. That's only 500 mg more for the rest of the day if you eat this sandwich.I've got the gluten on lock down, but now I need to focus on sodium.

    ReplyDelete