Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Gluten Free On the Run - Maintain Spontaneity Without Getting Glutened

Mike and I were up in Littleton this weekend picking up pumpkins for Halloween. I of course didn't plan ahead and wound up in unfamiliar territory with a grumbling belly. Thinking I was being smart I busted out my phone and typed 'gluten free' into the yelp application. Peaches Bakery in Harvard came up and it was only a few miles away. Sweet! We drove five minutes down the road and pulled into the parking lot only to find the place was closed on Sunday. I know, if only I had planned ahead...

Defeated, we continued on our way to find some farm markets... We found a few, they were nice and we bought veggies and bacon for the chowder we were planning on making later that night. By this point I was getting really grumpy because I was super hungry and couldn't think of where to get food. On our way out of town I noticed a super market. Of course! There's food at a super market! We stopped by and picked up the fixings for the best impromptu car picnic I've ever had. We had:

Hormel Natural Choice Ham (sealed pack labeled Gluten Free)
Sargento Colby Jack Slices  (No gluten ingrediants... website confirms)
Bolthouse Farms Blue Goodness Smoothie (Labeled Gluten Free)
Lundberg Brown Rice Chips (Labeled Gluten Free)


It wasn't a sit down dinner, but it sure did the trick. I've also bought bags of apple slices and popcorn during other car trips on the go. Most of the time, my android phone helps me maintain spontaneity, but when things are closed or you're in a place that doesn't know what gluten is, try the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment