Friday, October 22, 2010

Dear Probiotics - Thank you for taming my angry tummy

After going gluten free for a year and a half I thought I was in the clear... until the last month or so. It all started with chicken biryani from my local Indian restaurant and went straight down hill from there. Everything I ate made me sick. First I thought it was dairy... then I feared it was eggs. Nothing and everything in particular seemed to piss my stomach off. I couldn't digest anything and I was running out of slouchy mom sweaters to cover the huge puffy 'gluten belly'. I kept thinking it would just go away... maybe I had a stomach bug... It didn't and almost two months went by. Finally I had enough and called my doctor. She told me to come in and redo the CD blood tests (IGA) and eventually the super fun biopsy. The blood tests turned out normal, (huge miracle), and I don't go for the biopsy until December. In the mean time she told me to try 'Align Probiotics'. I wound up picking up PB-8 instead at my local Wholefoods, (1- It's listed as gluten free very clearly on their website and 2- It's ten bucks less than Align). Sold. The first two days were rocky, but after that my stomach did a 180. It was like a bad boyfriend who gets too drunk and yaks on your front porch only to return the next day like nothing happened... except you can't leave your stomach/ digestive tract out in the cold.

All in all. I totally recommend trying probiotics, (as long as it's ok with your doctor).

Nutrition Now Probiotics Website


PB-8 is Gluten, Peanut and Soy Free (Allergy Info) The green bottle is actually vegetarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment