Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Vacationing Gluten Free - Florida!!

So, this article was written a month ago while we were in Florida... I have quite a back log of articles for you, so brace yourself. Upcoming articles include Bar Harbor Maine, North Conway New Hampshire and Montreal/ Quebec City in Canada. I just took the licensing exam I was studying for so now I have no excuse but to write articles and embrace the Boston gluten free community full on. Now, for gluten free Florida!

Ok, so we're staying at a house in Satellite Beach so it's not so tough... We did visit Disney and that was interesting. The week before I left I e-mailed Disney special diets and asked them about Gluten Free at Animal Kingdom. I got back a very very long overly complicated e-mail. At the bottom was a list of places I could go "on the fly". Restorauntasaurus, (yeah you read that right), was on the list. On the day we visited Disney I had a sizable breakfast. Who knows what I'd be able to eat at the park and I had zero desire to tote around a lunch bag while riding roller coasters and going on cheesy fake safaris. We got there around 9:30am and B-Lined for the safari after that we walked around for awhile and Mike got hungry so we decided to go look for food. We checked the dinosaur restaurant listed above. It was a walk up place and then menu included deep fried chicken fingers, burgers, hot dogs and onion rings.... all of which I couldn't even dream of eating. I wasn't hungry so it was all good. Mike wound up finding a place that made cheese filled pretzels and was happy. I finally got hungry and wound up eating popcorn for lunch... lame!


Later that night before we picked up friends from the airport we tried this place in Orlando called Nona Sushi. It was pretty good. The manager? owner? was really nice and chatted with us about Celiac Disease and soy sauce snobbery. I did not know La Choy soy sauce doesn't contain wheat.


Nona Sushi on Facebook

The rest of the week we just cooked at the house. I was shocked to see a plethora of gluten free products at our "local" grocery store in Satellite Beach. They even had gf Bisquick?! We picked up a pack and made the best quiche/ cake thing for breakfast. When we got back to Boston I tried finding it around here and couldn't! My mom had to pick some up the Hannaford near her house and bring it to me. I never liked real Bisquick so I didn't have high hopes for the gluten free version, but I wound up really liking it. Since vacation I've made french apple cake and the best clam fritters I've had in awhile. I used to make the fritters at a little surf and turf restaurant near my hometown, so I know good fritters. These were light, fluffy and chewy. They needed more clams and better seasoning, but the consistency was perfect... I digress.


Gluten Free Bisquick

1 comment: