Friday, November 4, 2011

Restaurant Fridays - Myers and Chang (Boston)

Welcome to Restaurant Fridays - My weekly review of gluten free dining options in Boston, Worcester and their surrounding areas


Myers + Chang


Since we began preparing for the move, life has become hectic. Boxes fill our living room and I have no idea where most of my stuff is. I can't wait to get into one space, unpack, get organized and back on schedule. Tonight was just as hectic as any night, so I decided to call in take-out from a local restaurant that I haven't been to in awhile.


Myers + Chang is in my old South End neighborhood and was the first dining out experience I had when I was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Upon perusing their on-line gluten free menu, I was very pleasantly surprised to find chicken and broccoli chow fun! Pre-celiac, chow fun was one of my favorite things to eat. The wide rice noodles are great for soaking up the delicious sauce and I can't get enough of Chinese broccoli. Myers + Chang did not disappoint with their gluten free version. I practically inhaled it before stopping myself so I would have lunch for tomorrow. How have I not gone back to this place in over two years?! Mike of course got bites of my dinner and has insisted that we go there for before moving out of the city. I agree.


Gluten Free Chow Fun


I also ordered the fresh rolls. They were just how I had remembered them. Veggie full and tasty with the perfectly spicy dipping sauce. Yum. I've tried to make these myself on several occasions and they never quite come out the same. 

Along with my order, there was a bag of shrimp crackers. I was scurrying around and just assumed that they were gluten free because my whole order was gluten free. This is a perfect example of:

1. Always check what is in your food before eating it, especially if there is any doubt.

and 

2. You are solely responsible for the food that enters your mouth, not the restaurant. It is always your choice.

The shrimp crackers, while made of rice were fried in the same oil as gluten containing items. Chances are I contaminated myself and my stomach will be crabby for a little while. Lesson learned. 


Gluten Free Fresh Rolls

If you didn't already know this, Myers + Chang is owned by Joanne Chang of Flour Cafe & Bakery and her husband Christopher Myers. Flour, while still a traditional bakery, does have some gluten free options. I treat myself to the meringues every once and a great while. :o) 

No comments:

Post a Comment