Friday, November 11, 2011

Restaurant Fridays - Bellaluna Milky Way (Jamaica Plain)

Welcome to Restaurant Fridays - My weekly review of gluten free dining options in Boston, Worcester and their surrounding areas.


Bellaluna Milkyway Restaurant and Lounge


Last Friday, I went out to dinner with two friends, one of whom is a vegan. I suggested Bellaluna in JP because I had heard they had both gluten free pizza and vegan pizza. 




We all work in  downtown Boston so I was kind of worried that heading to JP for pizza was going to be a haul. Fortunately, it wasn't that long of a ride to Stonybrook and it was only a 5 to 10 minute walk from the T. 


When we arrived, they asked if we had a reservation and looked around a little worried when we said no. I was kind of confused because there were a lot of tables open. We wound up being seated right away at a spot in the back.  After perusing the drink menu for awhile, I opted against a $10 cocktail and got a cider instead. We all wound up ordering various forms of pizza. I had intended on getting a pizza with soy cheese, but was told by the waiter that the chef had said that since I have Celiac Disease I couldn't have anything with soy in it. Really?! I responded rather quickly with a terse "that's not quite right" and then asked what kind of soy cheese they use, (figuring I could just google it since the kitchen obviously didn't know what gluten was). The waiter responded with something to the effect of "you can't have it' and I just got fed up and let them put regular cheese on it. 


The food came out fairly quickly and looked pretty good. Their pizza was made with the same gluten free pizza crust every place uses when they want to offer basic gluten free options. It's not a bad crust, it's just used everywhere.


Gluten Free Pizza Crust - Bellaluna

Overall, it was an ok experience. The ambiance was nice and the place had a semi - serious line when we went to leave, (which explains the reaction to our not having a reservation). However, I don't think I would go there again. Do you really trust a place that thinks all things soy aren't gluten free just because soy sauce is made with wheat? I certainly don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment