Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Product Review - Bakery on Main

Mike and I recently attended the New England Celiac Conference where we were able to meet vendors and sample a myriad of gluten free products. One of the tables we spent a some time at was Bakery on Main's.


Bakery on Main makes delicious granola, nut bars and cereals that are gluten and casein free. I was able to try their entire product line thanks to their generosity at the Celiac Conference.




Truebar


These bars all have a witty little saying on them, "I am a [name your ingredients] bar with nothing to hide". They all consist of a mix of fruit, nuts and natural flavors. While all of the bars were really tasty albeit a little sticky, my favorite was the walnut cappuccino bar. I am not a walnut fan, but this bar was so darn good that I didn't even notice it. I liked that it was crunchy and slightly sweet like a treat, but it was made up of healthy, whole ingredients like walnuts, rice bran and chia seeds.

 
The bars come in several flavors, (Apricot Almond Chai, Coconut Cashew, Fruit & Nut, Hazelnut Chocolate Cherry, Raspberry Chocolate Almond & Walnut Cappuccino). 


Truebar by Bakery on Main

Gluten Free Granola Bars

These bars were good, but not as good as the Truebars. They were flimsier and made with oatmeal. All of the flavors were pretty tasty, but much milder than I expected. 

 

Bakery on Main Granola Bars

Fiber Power

Fiber power is the perfect name for this product line because it is absolutely loaded with fiber! Each serving has 9 grams of fiber and 3g of them are soluble, which is good for your heart and your digestive system. When you're on the gluten free diet it can be harder to find good sources of fiber. This cereal helps you get there. Mix this granola with some vanilla oikos yogurt and you'll be full until lunch for sure! I had this combo when I was packing for our move and it kept me full for hours. My favorite was the Triple Berry because of its slightly tart yet sweet berry flavor.

Fiber Power Gluten Free Granola

Mixed with Oikos Yogurt

Gluten Free Granola

These products were tasty, but they made me feel the same way the granola bars did... longing for their heartier siblings. This is a texture thing and personal preference. I just love "crunch". I ate these granolas as snacks at work, (not so easy when you get to the small pieces). In hind sight, I wish I could've thrown it in some yogurt.


This was the last Bakery on Main product I tried. At the time of the conference I don't think it was on the market. However, I just checked their website and it looks like it's available for sale! I brought this to work and mixed it up for a warm, gooey & delicious breakfast. Pre-celiac, I would eat maple oatmeal for breakfast every single day. It makes me happy to see more and more oatmeal options for people on the gluten free diet becoming available.

Gluten Free Instant Oatmeal

Overall, I think Bakery on Main has a great product line. I am partial to the heartier stuff, but that's just me. If you're looking for these products in stores in the Massachusetts just type your zip code into their store finder. The closest store for me in Worcester is probably Framingham Wholefoods and the closest to Boston appears to be Wholefoods Symphony.  





Please note that I do not work for Bakery on Main nor have they paid me for this review. They were kind enough to supply me the products to try and write about. My opinions of the products are honest and I am in no way biased by their free samples.

1 comment:

  1. I saw these products at some long island gluten free stores that we used to visit together with my aunt who's a celiac. I've eaten some and they're yummy!

    ReplyDelete