Sunday, June 12, 2011

You didn't eat it before. Why are you eating it now?

Mike asked me this one day when I got really excited about finding gluten free whoopie pies at a bakery in New Hampshire.  He was right, I never even liked whoopie pies before, but now it was something I could have, ready made and out in the world.
This line of thinking when I was first diagnosed lead me to gain close to twenty pounds in two months. Prior to going gluten free I was a normal weight for my height and build. I could also eat enough food for a man twice my size. While I would occasionally gain/ lose a few pounds, it was never drastic. Probably because I wasn't really absorbing all my nutrients. Not all celiac patients are rail thin. I never was; not before and certainly not after going gluten free. 

Now, two and half years later, I am still working off all that gluten free macaroni and cheese, the Amy's frozen dinners, pizza and those evil yet delicious against the grain buns. Do you want to know why they are so darn tasty? Because they have cheese baked into them. Each bun has 265 calories and a whopping 14 grams of fat. Chew on that for a minute. Many gluten free products are filled with refined sugar and fat in order to make them taste better. 


About eight and half months from now, I'll be getting married. While I have already purchased my dress, I still want to lose the rest of this "gluten free weight". That means I have to make smarter choices. Eat more fiber, leaner protein and say sayonara to crappy, bad for me gluten free baked goods. 


Healthy Gluten Free Lunch & Snacks
The picture above is my lunch, part of breakfast and a few snacks for tomorrow. It's made up of:


Breakfast:
Whey protein shake 
Yes, a protein shake. Whey supposedly helps lower cortisol levels, a stress hormone that is really bad for you and is notorious for adding to your belly fat. I am on board for anything that lowers my cortisol levels and kicks belly fat to the curb. It also keeps me super full until lunch, which is quite a feat on only 140 calories. 
Banana 
Bananas are awesome for you. They are full of potassium and fiber. We could all use a little more fiber in our lives.


Snacks:
Low fat yogurt 
Yoplait light is tasty, but has scary fake sugar. I also like Skyr or Siggi's which have higher protein content, (fuller you), and less sugar. If you try Skyr, don't eat the strawberry flavor. It has wheat?!... don't know why.
Almonds
Fiber and protein. All around great snack.


Lunch:
Turkey Lunch Meat
Applegate Farms, Hormel Natural Choice and Trader Joe's Brand are all gluten free
Hummus
I like Tribe or Cedars. The single servings keep me from over hummusing myself... 
Cucumbers
Two slices San Juan Seven Grain by Canyon Bakehouse
4 grams dietary fiber and only 180 calories... not pre-celiac lite wheat, but pretty darn close.
Broccoli florets
4 more grams fiber per half cup and great for eating that extra hummus. No wasting hummus folks!
Rainier Cherries
90 calories in a cup of them, they're fun to eat, taste good and .... have 3 more grams of fiber. 


In the end, I just need to think a little before I eat things and get the people around me on board with my plan. Do I really want [insert name of gluten free treat]? Can I get my future mother-in-law to stop making me cupcakes with coconut frosting? She has worked wonders with the Betty Crocker GF Cake Mix. I swear she's feeding me regular cake that's how good it tastes, but I digress. 


Form a plan.  Inform your friends, family and those feeding you, (besides you). Eat more fiber. Walk the dog... a lot... and hopefully your bum will get smaller. That's my plan.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Becky! A lot of people say to me, "No wonder you're so thin!" when they hear I can't eat gluten...but they didn't see me almost 9 years ago right after my diagnosis! 9 years ago, I couldn't get whoopie pies like we can now, but if anyone put anything like gf-bread in front of me, I would eat like it was 1999 and certainly ended up tipping the scales for a while. Even know, noticing that the diner down the street put GF French Toast on the menu, I'm psyched. But when I have ever craved French Toast? What I have found best about being gluten-free is that it does challenge me to try new things I wouldn't have normally embraced...oysters, pulled pork, sushi without the soy sauce (fyi, its way better without the soy sauce). One thing I did miss/crave was carrot cake, and thanks to Simply Organic, I can now address that craving...even though I only usually eat a few small pieces and I'm done! So good girl, and I know...Against the Grain is sinful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I saw you Liz, you looked fantastic. Seriously, what ever it is you are doing, it works. :o)

    ReplyDelete